Can you tell me exactly how much this plumbing job will cost?
In our years of experience we have found that our customers prefer an accurate price based on their exact plumbing problem. Most phone quotes are subject to change once the service technician sees the job. We don't think that is fair to you. By allowing us to diagnose your plumbing problem in person, you will know exactly what it will take to get the job done.
How can I prevent my shower water from turning 'colder' when someone turns on the kitchen sink?
What you are experiencing is referred to as a water pressure drop. This may be due to the size and condition of your water distribution piping, low static and residual water pressure or the quality or working condition of your shower valve. I suggest that if your domestic water system is fed by a public water service, you should contact the water department and inquire about the water pressure in your area. Low water pressure can sometimes be solved with a water pressure booster pump. You also may want to consider increasing the size of your water distribution mains and risers which will improve the volume of water available. If your plumbing system is not of historical significance, you might consider replacing old brass and lead piping that may be clogged with build-up on the interior of the pipe walls. However, if your shower valve is old, non-balancing or is not functioning properly, it would be far less expensive to replace the shower valve than make any of the modifications above. Perhaps you need a plumber? We can be reached at (631) 586-2200.
How to buy an Energy Efficient Residential Central Air Conditioner?
I've got a frozen pipe in my home. How do I thaw it out? If it bursts, what should I do to stop the flooding?
- Apply heat to the section of pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, electric hair dryer, a portable space heater (kept away from flammable materials), or by wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water.
- Do not use a blowtorch, kerosene or propane heater, charcoal stove or other open flame device.
- Do not let a heating pad, hair dryer, or other electrical device come into contact with water.
- Do not leave any heat source unattended at any time.
- Keep the faucet open. As you treat the frozen pipe and the frozen area begins to melt, water will begin to flow through the frozen area. Running water through the pipe will help melt more ice in the pipe.
- If your house or basement is flooding, turn off the water valve if you can locate it and call 911. For tips on how to locate your shutoff valve, click here.
- DO NOT TRY TO THAW A BURST PIPE THAT HAS RESULTED IN FLOODING! THIS COULD CAUSE ELECTROCUTION!
- If you are unable to locate the frozen area, if the frozen area is not accessible, or if you cannot thaw the pipe, call a licensed plumber.
- Be sure to check all of the other pipes in your home to be sure further freezing has not occurred.
Is Erol's Plumbing & Heating Licensed & Insured?
My toilet bowl works fine except that after attaining its proper level of water following a flush the water level drops about 2-4 inches in about 10 minutes. There is no leak. What do you think?
Some of the much older type reverse trap toilets will do this. In most instances your water level will drop about 3 inches in 5 minutes. Since this type of toilet is older, install a newer type toilet if this annoys you. Give Us A Call (631) 586-2200.
What do I do if I smell Gas?
- Leave the building (home or business) immediately, taking everyone with you (including pets), and leave all doors and windows open behind you. Don't re-enter the home to open doors and windows.
- Do not:
From another location, you can call LIPA Company, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also call your local fire department who will in turn notify LIPA Company to respond and investigate. Click Here to View LIPA Website.
- use phones, computers, appliances, elevators or garage door openers.
- touch electrical outlets, switches or doorbells.
- smoke or use a lighter, match or other open flame
- position or operate vehicles or powered equipment where leaking gas may be present
What does SEER refer to?
SEER Stand for Seasonal energy efficiency ratio. Most cases Air Conditioning units are rated in SEER to show its energy efficiency. Residential air conditioner systems (not window box air conditioners), manufactured after today must achieve a Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) of 13 or higher. A SEER rating of 13 is 30 percent more efficient than the current 10 SEER standard. Click Here For More Information.
What's the best thing to use when your bathroom sink drain is going very slow? What would you recommend?
The best remedies for unplugging a stopped up bathroom sink drain would be using an electric snake machine. Your blockage (plug-up) is usually hair, dirt, and grease. Then flush-out and wash clean the drain line piping.
When Cold Weather is forecast, what can I do to prevent my pipes from freezing & bursting?
- Because your furnace is operating more frequently, be sure that carbon monoxide detectors are working properly and are located near the furnace area.
- Keep heat at 70° (during these frigid days).
- Check your home for drafts.
- Check underneath all kitchen and bathroom cabinets that are located on outside walls. Pipes that are located in these areas could freeze. Leave cabinet doors open to allow heat in.
- Insulate pipes that are located on outside walls.
- If you have had previous problems with freezing, leave a faucet trickling warm water.
Moving water generally will not freeze.
- Try to heat under crawl spaces.
- If your pipes should freeze, heat the area immediately. This may help to avoid broken pipes.
- Before leaving your home in the morning, test all faucets to ensure they are working properly. If they are not, heat the area immediately. If the pipe conditions do not improve, call a licensed professional plumber immediately.
- Call a licensed professional plumber to install Glycol Antifreeze in your heating system. This will aid in keeping your pipes from freezing.
- If you own vacant property, be sure the heat is set at 68°.